Southwark private Renters' Support Project
is a part of Citizens Advice Southwark. We support local residents to have a better private rental experience.
What we Do
We help people who are renting privately in the borough.
The private rented sector has grown significantly in Southwark over the last ten years and now accounts for nearly one-third of all households in the borough. However, there are problems within the sector which affect many people.
Some issues that private renters face include:
- Disrepair, including mould and damp, leaks and draft, faulty electrics, and lack of heating and hot water, which they cannot get their landlord to fix.
- Rent increases
- Fear of illegal evictions
Many private renters are also are unaware of the rights they have, or the help that is available to support them.
Who we are?
Southwark Private Renters Support Project is part of Citizens Advice Southwark. It has been established to support private renters within Southwark with the issues that they are facing.
What we do?
Through Southwark Private Renters Support Project, we want to give private tenants a voice, and to provide a safe space for them to meet, exchange information and get help where needed.
We aim to do this by:
- Providing education on housing rights to empower tenants.
- Ensuring private rented tenants know where to turn for support including legal advice through signposting.
- Providing up-to-date information and advice materials on private renting.
- Improving renter’s advocacy by facilitating collaboration between local and national organisations.
- Engaging with council teams to promote and achieve a better experience for private renters in the borough including improving/scrutinising
- Working to reduce marginalisation of renters from minority groups by working in partnership with agencies who support them.
- Conducting research with tenants to better understand their issues, and needs.
- Participating in local and national campaigns to influence change in the private rented sector.
Our Core Partners