Given the current Cost of Living crisis, here is the list of the 33 Warm Space venues in the borough and our tips & tricks on how to keep your energy costs down.
As The Cost of Living Crisis intensifies, saving money on energy has never been more important. Here are our easy tips and tricks on how to keep your energy costs down:
- Move furniture away from radiators – this will help the hot air to flow in the room rather than warming up your table or the back of your sofa!
- Use slow cookers – they have low wattage and use nearly ten times less energy than an oven or a hob. This could be as little as 5 pence per hour.
- Don’t leave lights on in empty rooms.
- Change bulbs to energy saving bulbs – they can save you £65 a year.
- Use less water – if you normally take a 10-minute shower, try cutting it down to 5 minutes.
- Don’t leave appliances on stand-by.
- Turn down boiler flow temperatures.
- Utilize the sink plug when doing the washing up – it only takes 95 seconds for a 10 litre washing up bowl to be filled up, so by leaving the tap running while you wash up, you are wasting water and energy.
- Fill up your dishwasher and washing machine – never do half loads. Wash your clothes on 30C rather than on 40C or higher.
- Take showers instead of baths.
- Turn down thermostat by 1 degree.
- Do not overfill the kettle – only boil however much water you need at any given moment.
- Close curtains when it gets dark.
- Use timer settings for central heating.
- Try keeping drafts under control – use foam or adhesive seal on drafty windows; draft excluders/stoppers work really well for drafty outside doors.
In addition, 33 venues in Southwark have signed up to be Warm Spaces this winter (see attached image). The full list can also be found here. These are welcoming spaces where you can spend some time to get warm, and maybe enjoy a hot drink and some company.