In order to make sure we are targeting our support in the right way we need input from you.
Many tenants expressed that they have heard of Southwark’s property licencing scheme but had little knowledge about what it meant and how knowing whether their property was licenced could possibly benefit them.
Licencing offers a better regulated private sector, better standard of accommodation for tenants and, in some instances, repayment of rent. As Southwark Council continues to steadily expand the scheme across the borough, we believe that understanding licencing and how it can benefit renters is crucial.
As a result, we are launching an awareness campaign for Southwark’s private renters.
Help tenant advocacy group Shelter to reach their target of 75,000 signatures for their ENOUGH IS ENOUGH online petition to:
- Scrap unfair Section 21 ‘no fault’ eviction notices – which allow landlords to evict tenants even when they’ve done nothing wrong, with just two months’ notice
- Create a National Landlord Register - so renters know who their landlord is and where to get help if things go wrong
- Give Local Authorities more power to uphold renters’ rights.
The Government’s Renters’ Reform Bill is once-in-a-generation initiative and could change renting for good. It is a chance for private renters to win the security and rights they deserve.
Every signature counts! Sign the petition here
Work with us.
Collaboration is key to supporting private renters and improving the private rental sector, therefore we are open to working together in any way possible, however, we are particularly interested in partnering on:
- Our Know Your Housing Rights educational sessions to ensure we are able to educate all private renters on their rights.
- Campaigns to work towards an overall improved private rental sector.
If you are a community organisation or work with private renters and are interested in working with Southwark Private Renters Support Project, please contact us here.
Are you in need of support?
Find out who can help you here.